Independence is committed to providing our members with access to the care they need. As COVID-19 has escalated into a pandemic, we are working to make sure that our members can receive appropriate testing and treatment for the virus causing COVID-19 if needed.
We also want to remind our providers of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) notification requirements for Medicare Advantage patients that are hospitalized during the COVID-19 pandemic.
CMS is reminding all hospitals of options for notice delivery to Medicare Advantage beneficiaries. Providers are encouraged to be diligent and safe while issuing the following beneficiary notices to those being treated with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 and receiving institutional care:
- Important Message from Medicare (IM)_CMS-10065
- Detailed Notice of Discharge (DND)_CMS-10066
- Notice of Medicare Non-Coverage (NOMNC)_CMS-10123
- Detailed Explanation of Non-Coverage (DENC)_CMS-10124
- Medicare Outpatient Observation Notice (MOON)_CMS-10611
- Notice of Hospital Requested Review (HRR) or HINN 10
Flexible options for notice delivery
Providers should review existing CMS notice delivery instructions, which provide flexibilities for delivering notices to beneficiaries in isolation.
These delivery options include:
- Hard copies. Hard copies of notices may be dropped off with a beneficiary by any hospital worker able to enter a room safely. Provide a contact phone number for the beneficiary to ask questions about the notice, if the individual delivering the notice is unable to answer questions.
- Secure email. Notices to beneficiaries may also be delivered via email, if a beneficiary has access to his or her email in the isolation room or to authorized or appointed beneficiary representatives who are offsite.
- Telephone. Providers can call authorized or appointed beneficiary representatives who are offsite.
All notices should be annotated with the circumstances of the delivery, including the person delivering the notice in person, via email, or by telephone as well as the time of the call or when and to where the email was sent.
To access more information on beneficiary notices, please visit the CMS website.
For more information about Independence's position on COVID-19, please review the following resources: