This article was revised on June 24, 2021, to update the effective date and covered drugs.
Independence will cover the use of several infusion drugs (and drug combinations) to treat Commercial and Medicare Advantage members who have been diagnosed with COVID-19.
- Bamlanivimab® (LY-CoV555) in combination with Etesevimab® (LY-CoV016)
- Sotrovimab® (VIR-7831/GSK4182136)
- Veklury® (remdesivir) (including in combination with Olumiant® [baricitinib])
These drugs (and drug combinations) must be administered under supervision of a clinical professional. Drug administration in a setting consistent with that required by the FDA’s Emergency Use Authorization allows the clinician to monitor and treat infusion reactions like anaphylaxis.
Independence is committed to providing our members with access to the care they need during the COVID-19 pandemic. We encourage all Independence members and providers to visit our dedicated COVID-19 webpage regularly for the latest news and updates. We will continue to evaluate member needs as the situation changes.
The coverage is effective:
- Commercial: October 22, 2020, through October 31, 2021.
- Medicare Advantage: October 22, 2020, through the duration of the public health emergency.
Read more about the indications for use, coverage, dosage and administration recommendations, coding, and reimbursement in the News Articles posted on our Medical and Claim Payment Policy Portal: